Real Madrid take on city rivals Atletico in the La Liga gameweek 7. Zinedine Zidane has been linked with a move away from the Bernabeu after last week’s 3-0 Champions League defeat at Paris Saint-Germain. Following the Parc des Princes, the Blancos returned to winning ways in the domestic league clashes against Sevilla (1-0) and Osasuna (2-0).
Even though the recent La Liga victories have calmed Zidane exit rumours exit a bit, a defeat at the hands of the Rojiblancos could force Florentino Perez into considering Jose Mourinho’s return to the Bernabeu.
- The Special One spent three seasons at the Spanish capital between 2010–2013.
- Under the Portuguese, the Blancos won the championship in the 2011/12 campaign – the club record of 100 points per season.
- Despite Jose’s infamous exit in 2013, Florentino Perez has never made a secret of his admiration for the two-time Champions League winner.
- Mourinho remains jobless since his departure from Man United last December.
- He’s bookies favourite to take over Madrid in case of Zidane’s exit.
- Zizou himself is said to be frustrated with Perez’s failure to buy Paul Pogba this summer.
- A repeat of pre-season’s 7-3 friendly loss to Diego Simeone’s side would certainly put the French manager’s future in doubt and Mou looks like the likeliest candidate to replace him.
As for the Madrid derby itself, Luka Modric, Isco and Marcelo are all in line to return from injuries at the Wanda Metropolitano (Marca).