GFA has banned Two Ghanaian referees for 20 matches over wrongful decisions


The GFA has handed a 20-match ban to referee Banabas Amenyo, assistant referee in the Ghana Premier League Matchweek 16 game between Accra Lions and Medeama and referee Courage Ampofo.

The two referees will serve a 12 and 8-match bans respectively.

In the case of Banabas Amenyo, he  was adjudged to have wrongfully raised his flag for offside in the 20th minute, effectively ruling out a goal Medeama had scored.

Despite Medeama not complaining about the incident, the GFA’s Match Review Panel reviewed footage from the game and determined that the goal was clearly not offside.

“Footage showed that there was no offside incident anywhere and the goal showed have stood,” the GFA’s statement said.

The assistant referee admitted that he made a mistake and that the goal should have stood.

The Match Review Panel ruled that the decision changed the course of the game and, hence, handed him a 12 match ban.

The panel also ruled that Mr. Amenyo’s understanding of the offside rule was questionable and recommended that he should be “given further training after serving his suspension at the lower-level division.”


Courage Ampofo on the other hand was suspended for eight match days for wrongfully awarding a penalty in the game between Samartex FC and BYFA in the Ghana Division one league.

According to the ruling by the GFA’s Match Review Panel, Mr Ampofo played 15 minutes of added time at the end of the game, in which he awarded a penalty to Samartex.

The panel found that “the attacker of Samartex FC pushed the defender of BYFA slightly and he fell to the ground. The BYFA defender did not commit any foul in the penalty area which warrants an award of penalty.”

The panel added that the referee was far from the incident and that his “anticipation was poor.”

They also found that the decision by the referee resulted in “serious confrontations”, including the use of a taser by a police officer during the fracas.

See also  SUSPECTED use of unqualified player: Journalist file protest against Kotoko over Champions League game against Nouadibou

When asked to defend his decision remotely, Mr Ampofo stated that he was travelling and did not have a smartphone to enable him to watch the footage from the match.

As his decision was deemed to have changed the course of the game, the referee was handed an eight-matchday suspension.

The Panel also recommended that the behaviour of the upset BYFA players and the police be investigated.

Source: citinewsroom


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here