Gerard Pique is a busy man right now. His business ventures include the renovation of the famous Davis Cup in tennis, moreover, he also owns a Segunda B side Andorra.
However, El Larguero now reports that Pique could be up to yet another bold plan. They claim the veteran defender considers launching a brand new European club competition which would have a similar format to the Davis Cup.
What exactly is Pique planning to do? El Larguero reveal it all:
- The new competition would consist of reigning champions of European big leagues.
- Other major European clubs would be invited as well.
- Pique is said to have had an appointment with the Spanish FA representatives to discuss the possibility of new competition.
Everything indicates Pique wants to have a ‘Davis Cup’ in football. His innovations have significantly changed the format of this famous tennis tournament.
- 18 teams take part in the Davis Cup divided into six groups of three.
- After the mini-league finishes, the best four sides play further starting from the quarter-finals up to finals.
- Moreover, the Davis Cup is now played in a single venue over a week.
Source: El Larguero