Saturday’s FA Cup Review


It’s been a long day of fascinating and scintillating football and here’s a quick review of the games, as 22 games took place today.

Manchester United were 2nil victors over Reading though the result was not a true reflection of the game. United’s first goal came after a controversial decision to award the Red Devils a penalty after Fred’s goal had been chalked off as offside. Mata slotted home calmly to the bottom right corner as he sent the Goalkeeper the wrong way with 22minutes played in the first half. Romelu Lukaku added a second just seconds before the 5 minutes added on in the first half was up as a mistake by John Swift left him one on one with Reading Goalkeeper Anssi Jaakkola. The Belgian kept his cool as he rounded the Goalkeeper before rolling the ball into the net. Ole’s men progress to the next stage as they will definitely be eyeing the ultimate.

At the Vitality stadium Bournemouth were made to pay for their missed opportunities as Anthony Knockaert put Brighton ahead in the 31st minute after he finished neatly after converting Jurgen Locadia’s cut-back. Just 3 minutes later Yves Bissouma scored his first goal for Brighton with a thunderous strike to double his side’s advantage. The Cherries halved the deficit in the 55th minute through Marc Pugh fine strike from the edge of the box, however any hopes of a comeback were ended when Florin Andone converted with a close range header to restore their 2 goals advantage as well as help them sail through to the next stage.

See also  Second controversy in a week for Man Utd whiz Greenwood - and second apology

Marco Silva got a much needed win at the Goodison park as his side triumphed League Two leaders Lincoln by 2 goals to 1 despite their lacklustre performance. Ademola Lookman put Everton ahead with just 12 minutes on the clock as he connected well with his head from a Baines cross. Two minutes later Sigurdsson and Calvert-Lewin combined to put Bernard through on goal as he cleverly chipped Josh Vickers. Lincoln reduced the deficit in the 28th minute after Pickford saved Jason Shackell’s header only for Michael Bostwick to capitalize on the rebound. Everton held on despite Lincoln’s threat to book their place in the 4th round of the FA Cup.

Alvaro Morata scored a brace during what could be Cesc Fabregas’ last game at the Bridge. Fabregas missed a penalty after Loftus-Cheek was brought down by Danny Fox as the Spaniard’s low effort was well saved by Steele. The Blues had to wait until the 49th minute before they could break the deadlock as Bayern Munich target Hudson Odoi’s whipped cross found Morata who prodded home his 8th goal of the season. 11 minutes later Hudson Odoi was at his very best again as he provided again after beating Saidy Janko and whipping the ball in for Morata to head home his second of the game. Fabregas was handed an emotional standing ovation in the dying minutes as he made way for Kante.

At the Priestfield park Elliott List was the hero for Gillingham, as the league One side shocked Premier League side Cardiff City with a one nil victory. With Cardiff hitting the woodwork twice in the second half, they were made to pay for their missed chances as List capitalized on the ball falling his way in the penalty box in the 81st minute before firing past Alex Smithies to put the hosts through to the next stage of the competition.

See also  'The Sports Department of Kesmi FM should continue to project a good image for RTU' - CEO of radio station directs as he congratulates RTU

The other results of the day are as follows:

By: Sir Kay


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here